Wednesday, January 20, 2010

CREATIVE SLUMP

I'm slightly inspired to restart my Etsy store with something new. Well, I'm probably more than slightly inspired but waking up before dawn to speak during a business conference has left me drained.

Finding my niche seems to be the problem. I'd really love to be able to hit on that one thing I could make which would really fit my creative flow as well as be a productive product. I have lots of skills from sewing and fabric creations to jewely to painting.

Some ideas I have are:

Creating collections every few months that revolve around a set of small paintings. One example would be the cupcake collection. I've painted three of these so far and I could make prints, pendants, postcards, and birthday cards using the images. I kinda think it would be fun to just do a series of birds like the ones shown below and then shinky-dink them into pendants.
Even more niche-y would be sewing things like purses, pillow covers, aprons, potholders... It all sounds so industrious but a little boring actually. Except for maybe the purses. But if I did "purses" then I'd be stuck in the purse niche. And do I really want to make purses be my creative life? Hmmm.
My creative life is so all over the map from decorating the house, making crazy haunted houses, baking, sewing, clothes. God help me I should have to pin it down. Soul searching might not even get me anywhere because I'm not sure I'd want to give anything up. And the creative energy seems to take me where it will. Maybe that's the point?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! I love, love, L-O-V-E your cupcake drawings!! I would absolutely die for one! A super great idea would be to put them on tees. I would totally buy it! You have any more?? I sooo want one!

Unknown said...

It's me, MsChelley, btw.

Unknown said...

I think you have to restart your etsy account. I mean, some of us deserve to have an authentic Libby ;-) in our art collection! And you deserve money for that.

Make sure you somehow sign your pieces in such a way that we can brag we own a REAL Libby... and not a copy.